After An Accident, What Should I Do?
Experiencing a motor vehicle accident can feel disorienting. You may feel frightened and unsure of the next steps. Fortunately, at the Law Office of John W. Howe, we know how to guide you in the moments, days, weeks and months following a crash. In this page, we will provide the key steps to take if you are in an accident.
What Are The Key Steps?
The minutes following an auto accident can feel overwhelming. However, try to follow these important steps:
- Get medical treatment: If you suffered an injury, get medical help and continue treatment until you reach maximum medical improvement. Otherwise, the other driver’s insurance company will not believe you were injured.
- Collect witness info: Get the names and contact information of any witnesses in case you need their testimony.
- Document the scene: Have someone take pictures of the accident scene and the damaged vehicles.
- Contact the authorities: Report the accident to the police or have someone do this for you. The police will also document the scene of the accident and can file an official report.
- Do NOT speak to an insurer: Do not sign any release forms or make a recorded statement for the insurance adjuster of the other driver. Insurance companies will do anything possible to avoid paying your claim.
- Seek legal advice: Talk to an attorney as soon as possible. Before you speak to an insurance company, speak to a lawyer. Mistakes in the early stages of your case can be hard to correct later. The Law Office of John W. Howe offers a free initial consultation to answer your questions and explain your rights.
Ask More Questions In A Free Consultation
The processes of filing an insurance claim, recovering from an injury or taking legal action are full of complicated steps. Our attorney can guide you and help you understand what to do. Get a free initial consultation at our law firm in Carrollton to talk to our attorney. Call 770-609-3074 or send us an email. Evening and weekend appointments are available.